Sony delivers the New Gold Standard in fullframe cameras with the new third-generation a7 III. It’s the camera many of you have been waiting for looked with high-end features yet priced just under $2,000.
Sony a7 III Body Only ($1,998 at B&H Photo | Amazon)
Sony a7 III bundled with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 kit lens ($2,198 at B&H Photo | Amazon).
Sony a7 III represents the best value of Sony’s fullframe mirrorless line-up. If you’re a Sony a7 or a7 II owner who’s been waiting to upgrade, now is the time! Sony a7 III is loaded with great new features!
If you’re a DSLR shooter who’s been waiting to switch to mirrorless, THIS is the camera you’ve been waiting for…
What’s New Since a7 II?
• IMPROVED 24MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
• IMPROVED BIONZ X Image Processor & NEW Front-End LSI
• NEW 693-Point Phase-Detection AF + 425-Point Contrast AF
• NEW Silent Shooting Mode – not found on a7/a7II
• NEW Touch Focus & Joystick Controller
• NEW 10 FPS Mechanical or Electronic Shutter
• NEW Dual SD Card Slots & USB 3.1 Type-C Port for Tethering
• NEW Sony NP-FZ100 Lithium-Ion Battery
• NEW ISO up to 204800
• NEW UHD 4K30p Video with HLG & S-Log3 Gammas
• NEW Fast Hybrid AF for Video
• IMPROVED 89 Shot RAW Buffer
• IMPROVED AF Sensitivity Down to EV-3
• IMPROVED Enhanced Eye AF
• IMPROVED 15-Stop Dynamic Range
• IMPROVED 5-Axis SteadyShot Stabilization
The new Sony a7 III shares a lot of DNA with it’s Sony mirrorless siblings. How does it compares depends on many factors outlined here: Sony Fullframe Comparison: Sony a7 III -vs- a7 II, a7R II, a7R III & a9
[PLEASE NOTE: All images posted in this review are from in-camera JPEGs. Expect Sony a7 III RAW Support in the next updates of Capture One, Adobe Camera Raw & Lightroom CC versions closer to the launch date.]
Weight & Build
Sony a7 III tips the scales at 1.43 lb (650 g) and is 5.0 x 3.8 x 2.9″ that’s 1/2″ deeper than a7 II, due to slightly larger grip to accommodate the new NP-FZ100 Lithium-Ion battery. Most users will not notice any difference in size between the bodies unless you look at the specs.
Sony a7 III | Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM OSS | 1/40 | F/4 | ISO 160 | (Click to Enlarge)
24MP Full-Frame Exmor R Back-Illuminated CMOS Sensor
Sony a7 III gets a New & Improved 24MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor. The Back-illuminated full-frame sensor gives a7 III higher sensitivity and readout speed compared to a7 & a7 II. The back-illuminated structure enhances light collection efficiency, expands circuitry scale and the copper wiring layer contributes to quicker data transfer, outputs data at very high speed, while minimizing noise to reveal fine details. Though it lacks the best-in-class read-out speed of a9’s Stacked BSI sensor, this allows a7 III to capture finer and sharper detail....