About this event
Come to the Venice Carnival and capture the colour and pageantry in this superb five-day, six-night Photo Tour! The Carnival, in beautiful and romantic Venice, is one of the most colorful, historical, and visually exciting festivals in the world, with its origins dating back to the twelfth century. It is typified by the elaborate masks and costumes worn by the thousands of participants who attend this annual event in the days leading up to Shrove Tuesday.
In February 2017, Bobbi Lane and David Nightingale, assisted by Venice-based photographer Fabio Thian, will be leading a small group of students on a dynamic photo tour of this fabulous carnival: providing an incredible opportunity to photograph this unique event with two respected and dedicated photography educators who will provide you with a wealth of individual instruction and attention.
Bobbi Lane, a commercial and editorial photographer, and highly experienced instructor, will teach you the skills you need to shoot a range of stunning portraits, while David Nightingale will teach you how to shoot breathtaking images of this fascinating location. Between them they will teach you everything you need to know in order to create dramatic and compelling travel images.
The photo tour will provide you with a well-rounded photographic experience, with expert guidance and detailed feedback and critique of your images, enabling you to develop your skills as a photographer. You will come away with a varied portfolio of shots: from street photography and incredible shots of Venice and surrounding areas, to dramatic and compelling portraits both of the local populace and our hired and costumed models.
Bobbi and David will teach you the skills you need to take your travel photography to the next level. Working with both natural light and portable flash, they will show you how to photograph the natural and urban landscape, how to produce stunning travel portraits, and how to combine the two to produce a compelling story that captures the heart and soul of the places you visit.
What to expect
- A well planned, informative and exciting photo tour including portrait photography, street photography, landscape and architectural photography.
- Detailed instruction on how to produce visually stunning and creative images of Venice and the carnival.
- Instruction from world-class instructors, Bobbi Lane and David Nightingale, and assistance from Fabio Thian, a professional photographer based in Venice.
- Improved shooting, composition and observational techniques.
- Learning to see and work with essential lighting techniques using both natural and artificial light.
- Improved ability to tell a compelling and coherent story through your photographs.
- Numerous tips, tricks and techniques to help you get the best possible shot.
- Regular reviews, feedback and constructive critique of your images.
What to bring
- Your camera, a backup body if you have one, a range of lenses (from wide-angle to telephoto), a flash, a small reflector, other light modifiers (optional but highly recommended), and a tripod.
- Your laptop or other storage device, a range of SD/CF cards, a card reader, and a USB memory stick.
- The temperature in Venice in February could range from around -5°C to 10°C (23-50°F), so make sure you bring along some warm, comfortable, and waterproof clothing.